JEL Classifications: H63
MONITORING OF KEY INDICATORS OF THE STATE DEBT OF UKRAINE: MODERN TRENDS Author: Igor Lyutyy, Yuliia Nakonechna, Liudmyla Demydenko
| Published: 2019-12-27
| Pages: 34 - 43
For Citation: Lyutyy I., Nakonechna Y., Demydenko L. (2019), Monitoring of Key Indicators of the State Debt of Ukraine: Modern Trends. Globalization And Business, #8, pp. 34-43.
The article contains a theoretical generalization of the essence and necessity of state borrowing, monitoring of indi- cators of state and state-guaranteed debt in the conditions of government aspirations and actions in the field of ensuring the sustainability of public finances in Ukraine. The main task of the authors is to monitor the indicators of state and state-guaranteed debt in the context of the need to ensure the sustainability of pub- lic finances of Ukraine. State debt in Ukraine remains a significant factor of macro-financial risk. An important measure to prevent the threat of uncontrolled growth of public debt is to strengthen financial control and the implementation of continuous monitor- ing of its main indicators. The cost of public borrowing and the assessment of the effectiveness of their use as a factor in ensuring the sustainable development of the economy is a constant source of discussion between officials, public organizations, and repre- sentatives of scientific analysis centers.
The article uses the generally accepted methodology for calculating the main indicators characterizing the state’s debt policy. The method of expert assessments analyzes the condition of the state debt and prospects of its servicing in Ukraine. Statis- tical and analytical methods have been used for the processing of statistical data on the study of the dynamics of indicators of state and state-guaranteed debt in Ukraine. The sources of infor- mation were the materials of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine, the State Treasury Service of Ukraine, as well as the Budget Code of Ukraine, laws and regulations of Ukraine relating to the budget sphere, scientific works of domestic and foreign scientists. This study aims to address the issues of analyzing and evaluating pub- lic debt indicators in the context of improving debt management. The authors propose to use 10 indicators to monitor the state of public debt and make managerial decisions in public finance.
The empirical experience of developed EU countries confirms the feasibility of using the key benchmark of state debt to GDP of 60% in government debt management. At the same time, the max- imum level of public debt for emerging markets is proposed in the range of 40-60%. These ideas were embodied in the position of the medium-term state debt management strategy for 2018–2020 years, where the planned gradual reduction of public debt to GDP is 60% as of 2018, up to 52.2% in 2019 and up to 49% in 2020 .
Consequently, it is important to monitor compliance with the established expected values during the budget periods de- fined by the strategic plans for monitoring and justifying the ac- tually obtained indicators. In this context, the actual indicator of Ukraine’s debt in 2018 was 68%, which indicates a deviation from the planned indicator, which was due to the presence of internal and external factors which were not taken into account when this indicator was planning and which need to be further studied. So, the quality of debt planning needs further improvement. In addi- tion, the group of indicators of debt security should include the indicator of external government debt - short-term external debt as a percentage of reserves (threshold value - 100%), from 2014 this indicator is constantly exceeded.
The dynamics of changes in the state debt and state-guar- anteed debt to the main macroeconomic indicators and budget parameters, weaknesses of the government debt strategy, the prospects of the debt policy in Ukraine are determined
PUBLIC DEBT OF UKRAINE, GUARANTEED BY THE STATE DEBT, INTERNAL LENDERS, EXTERNAL LENDERS, DEBT SERVICING, DEBT SECURITY, GOVERNMENT DEBT POLICY, PUBLIC FINANCES.
- Auerbach, A. (2015). Fiscal Uncertainty and How to Deal With It. Proceedings. Annual Conference on Taxation and Minutes of the Annual Meeting of the National Tax Association, 108, 1-29. URL:www.jstor.org/stable/90023221
- Auerbach, A., Gale W., Krupkin A. (2018). The Federal Budget Outlook: We Are Not Winning. URL: https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/ES_20180904_Gale-Budget-Outlook.pdf
- Bogdan, T. P. (2019). Analysis of the state debt management of Ukraine in I quarter of 2019 URL: http://optimacenter.org/userfiles/%D0%90%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%96%D0%B7%20%D1%83%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%BB%D1%96%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8F%20%D0%B4%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B6%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BC%20%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%BC%20%D1%83%20%D0%86%20%D0%BA%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%96%202019%20%D1%80%D0%B-E%D0%BA%D1%83.pdf
- Bogdan, T. P. (2013). Debt policy of the state in the conditions of global instability. Economy of Ukraine, (2), 4-17.
- Bogdan, T. P. (2014). Trends in the global financial market under the influence of debt processes in developed countries.Finance of Ukraine, (7), 31-48.
- Chugunov, I. Ya., & MAKOGON, V. (2014). Budget and tax policy in the context of institutional reforms. KNETE Bulletin, (4), 79-91.
- Lisovenko, V., Bench, L. Ya., & Betz, O. I. (2014). Public Debt: Conceptual Principles and Macroeconomic Aspects. Finances of Ukraine, (12), 7-31.
- Liutyy, I., Zrazhevska, N., & Rozhko, O. (2008). State credit and debt policy of Ukraine: monograph: TSUL.
- Ministry for Development of Economy, Trade and Agriculture of Ukraine. URL: http://www.me.gov.ua/?lang=en-GB
- Ministry of Finance of Ukraine URL: https://mof.gov.ua/en/news/derzhavnii_borg_zmenshuietsia-1872
- Paentko, T.. (2013). The institutional nature of the budget deficit and public debt in Ukraine. Economy of industry.
- Rozhko, O. Muzychenko V. .(2013). Borgova Ukraine’s Security in the Context of the Global Financial Crisis. Effective Economics. Electronic scientific professional edition.№ 3: URL: http://www.economy.nayka.com.ua.
- Sidelnikova, L.P. (2013). Apologetics of the tax and debt component of the fiscal policy of Ukraine.
- Sidelnikova, L.P. (2014). Development of budget resources in the context of the evolution of state-building. Finance of Ukraine, (8), 70.
- Sidenko, V. Yurchishin, V. Markevich K. (2015). Debts: time to take and give time. Global Trends and Challenges for Ukraine, URL: http://old.razumkov.org.ua/upload/1444658448_file.pdf
- Stiglitz, J. (2015). The great divide. Penguin UK.
- Stiglitz, J. E. (2012). The price of inequality: How today’s divided society endangers our future. WW Norton & Company.
- The Budget Code of Ukraine: Law of Ukraine on July 8, 2010, No. 2456-VI. URL: http: // zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2755-17/ed20150101 (Accessed 4 May 2019).
- Vakhnenko, T., Zrazhevska, N., Kozyuk, V., Lyutyy, I., Malerik, M., Rozhko, O., ... & Sharov, O. (2011). Problems of formation and servicing of external state debt of Ukraine.