JEL Classifications: E17, O47, C01
THE ROLE OF INNOVATIONS IN DRIVING ECONOMIC GROWTH: CASE OF ADVANCED ECONOMIES Author: Oksana Zhylinska, Oleksandr Chernyak, Olena Bazhenova
| Published: 2019-07-29
| Pages: 11-15
For Citation: Zhylinska O., Chernyak O., Bazhenova O. (2019), The Role Of Innovations In Driving Economic Growth: Case Of Advanced Economies, Globalization And Business, N7, pp. 11-15.
The paper explores the impact of innovations on the cross-country income differences among advanced economies based on the economic and mathematical models construction. As indicator that defines level of innovations production in the country, we have used number of researchers in R&D sector (per million people). Therefore, it has been constructed panel data model to estimate the effect of number of researchers in R&D sector on GDP per capita in advanced economies. Results of estimation have shown the significant impact of researchers in R&D sector on GDP per capita for the group of advanced economies testifying that innovation really matters in driving economic growth.
ECONOMIC GROWTH, INNOVATION, ECONOMETRIC MODELLING, PANEL DATA MODELS
- Aghion, P., Howitt, P. A (1992). Model of Growth through Creative Destruction. Econometrica. №60. Р. 323-351.
- Chernyak, O., Stavytskyy, A., Bazhenova, O., Shebanina, (2014). O. Econometrics. Mykolayiv: MNAU, (In Ukrainian).
- Grossman, G.M. Helpman, E. (1994). Endogenous Innovations in the Theory of Growth. The Journal of Economic Perspectives. Vol.8, No.1. рp. 23-44.
- Grossman, G.M. Helpman, E. (1991). Innovation and Growth in the Global Economy. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Grossman, G.M. Helpman, E., Oberfield, E., Sampson, T. (2017). Balanced Growth Despite Uzawa. https://www.prince-ton.edu/~grossman/Uzawa.pdf.
- Guarini, G. (2009). Innovation and growth in the Grossman-Helpman’s model with increasing returns: a note. Munich Personal RePEc Archive. URL: http://mpra.ub.unimuenchen.de/19612
- International Monetary Fund. World Economic Outlook Database. April (2019). URL: https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2019/01/weodata/index.aspx
- Kurz, H.D., Salvadori, N. (2003). Theories of Economic Growth - Old and New URL: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/252313772_theories_of_ economic _growth_old_and_new
- Lucas, R. (1988). On the Mechanics of Economic Development. Journal of Monetary Economics. № 22. Р. 3–42.
- Maddison, A. (2001). The World Economy: a Millennial Perspective. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. 383 р.
- Maddison, A. (2005). Growth and Interaction in the World Economy. URL: http://www.ggdc.net/maddison/other_books/growth_and_interaction_in_the_world_economy.pdf
- World Development Indicators. The World Bank. http://data-bank.worldbank.org/data/reports.aspx?source=wdi-database-archives-%28beta%29#